Endonasal Rhinoplasty: Benefits and Procedure Explained
Endonasal rhinoplasty, also known as closed rhinoplasty or scarless rhinoplasty, is a surgical technique used to reshape the nose by accessing the nasal structures through small incisions inside the nostrils. Unlike traditional open rhinoplasty, which involves making a small incision on the columella (the strip of tissue between the nostrils), endonasal rhinoplasty does not leave any external scars.
Endonasal Rhinoplasty is just a fancy term for nose surgery done through an internal incision. It may sound better, and more technologically advanced, but in the end it is just a simple closed rhinoplasty.
Surgeons commonly use this technique to correct functional issues such as a deviated septum or to enhance the appearance of the nose by adjusting the size, shape, or projection of the nasal tip, bridge, or nostrils. They can also use endonasal rhinoplasty to refine the nasal profile and improve breathing without affecting the external appearance of the nose.
The endonasal rhinoplasty procedure typically involves the following steps:
- Anesthesia: The patient receive general anesthesia or local anesthesia with sedation to ensure comfort during the procedure.
- Incisions: The surgeon makes small incisions inside the nostrils to access the nasal structures.
- Reshaping: The surgeon uses specialized instruments to reshape the nasal structures, such as trimming or grafting cartilage, adjusting the nasal bones, or reducing the size of the nostrils.
- Closure: The surgeon closes the incisions with dissolvable sutures and places a splint or dressing over the nose to support the healing process.
Advantages of Endonasal Rhinoplasty
The advantages of closed rhinoplasty over traditional open rhinoplasty include:
- No visible external scars
- Reduced postoperative swelling and bruising
- Faster recovery time
- Less discomfort and pain
- More precise surgical control
However, endonasal rhinoplasty may not be suitable for every patient or every type of nasal deformity. A board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty should thoroughly evaluate and make the decision to use this technique.
In conclusion, endonasal rhinoplasty is a safe and effective technique for reshaping the nose. It offers many advantages over traditional open rhinoplasty. If you are considering this procedure, choose a qualified and experienced plastic surgeon. They can help you achieve the best possible results.